Rich in omega 3 fatty acids, protein and vitamin D, mackerel should be a staple ingredient in our weekly diet. Mackerel is said to help against cardiovascular disease, prostate cancer and dementia, just to name but a few.
Smoked mackerel is a rich addition to any dish, but a key ingredient when it comes to summer salads. Combining the rich and salty flavours of the salmon, with the fresh summer flavours of apple, cucumber and spring onion, we have created a dish that is hearty, yet fresh for those warm summer days.
This Jollys of Orkney Smoked Mackerel Salad is bursting with goodness, combined with protein rich lentils and complimented by cool Greek yogurt.
- 100g Jollys of Orkney Smoked Mackerel Fillets
- 150g Puy Lentils
- 1 apple
- ½ cucumber
- 2 spring onions
- 120g Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ lemon
- Salt & pepper
- Finely chop the cucumber and spring onion and add to a bowl
- Add the lentils to the bowl along with the roughly grated apple
- To the mixture, add the cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and olive oil
- Give the ingredients a good mix before adding the chunks of mackerel fillets
- Serve the salad up with a heaped spoon of Greek yogurt and garnish with a few sprigs of dill and a slice of lemon