What better way to celebrate the summer solstice than with this delicious smoked salmon salad. Representing the Simmer Dim – a period of time when the days are light, bright and darkness doesn’t descend over Orkney. This salad is inspired by the gorgeous amber skies that shine brightly over our island during mid-summer.
This light citrus salad is bursting with colours and flavours. The sweetness of the oranges contrast with the tang of the grapefruit, combined with the roasted beetroot and crunchy fennel. We have added Orkney smoked salmon to this salad to add an additional dimension to this light delight.
Serve as a light dinner or as a spectacular side salad that will brighten up any dining table.
Preparation Time: 50 mins
- 100g Orkney Smoked Salmon
- Handful of watercress
- 1 Large beetroot
- 1 Red grapefruit
- 1 Orange
- 1 Small clementine/tangerine/satsuma
- 1 Fennel bulb
- ½ Red onion
- Grains of ½ pomegranate
- Handful of coriander
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons of honey/agave syrup
- Juice from ½ lime
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Wash the fresh beetroot and place on a baking tray. Bake for 45/50 minutes at 180 degrees. Once cool, peel back the skin and cut into slices
- While the beetroot is cooking, peel the orange, grapefruit and small orange. Cut into half-moon slides. Finely slice the fennel and red onion.
- Mix together the olive oil, grated ginger, honey and lime juice together to make the dressing.
- Place the slice beetroot, citrus fruits, fennel and onion on a plate. Garnish with the Orkney Smoked Salmon, watercress and coriander.
- Pour the dressing and garnish with the pomegranate seeds. Season with salt and pepper.