As the festive season approaches, there's no better way to celebrate than with a platter of luxurious smoked salmon canapés. Using Jollys of Orkney smoked salmon, known for its exquisite flavour and superior quality, these canapés will undoubtedly impress your guests and add a touch of Scottish elegance to your Christmas festivities.
- 200g Jollys of Orkney smoked salmon
- 100g of hand baked Thin Orkney Oatcakes
- 100g cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, drained and chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Fresh dill sprigs, for garnish
Mix the Cream Cheese Spread: In a small bowl, combine the softened cream cheese with chopped dill, lemon zest, and a pinch of black pepper. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated.
Assemble the Canapés: Spread a generous layer of the cream cheese mixture onto each Orkney oatcake. Top with a piece of Jollys of Orkney smoked salmon, folding or curling it for a decorative effect.
Add the Finishing Touches: Sprinkle each canapé with some chopped capers and a few pieces of finely chopped red onion. This will add a lovely crunch and a hint of sharpness.
Garnish and Serve: Garnish each canapé with a small sprig of fresh dill. Place the canapés on a serving platter, accompanied by lemon wedges. The lemon can be squeezed over the smoked salmon for an extra zing.
Enjoy: Serve these delightful canapés with a glass of chilled champagne or a festive cocktail. They are perfect for a Christmas party or as a pre-dinner appetiser on Christmas Day.
- You can prepare the cream cheese spread a day in advance and store it in the fridge to enhance its flavours.
- If you're a fan of a little extra spice, add a small amount of horseradish to the cream cheese mixture.
These smoked salmon canapés, featuring the finest Jollys of Orkney smoked salmon and Orkney oatcakes, are not only delicious but also embody the spirit of a traditional Scottish Christmas. They are sure to be a hit at your festive gatherings, bringing a taste of Orkney to your holiday table.