Brownies are a beloved treat around the world, but there's something special about fusing this chocolate delight with the sweet richness of Orkney fudge. Orkney is famous for its creamy and delectable fudge. When combined with brownies, it results in an irresistible treat that's a class apart. Here's a detailed guide to making Orkney Fudge Brownies that will make your tastebuds sing!
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 175g unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 200g Orkney fudge, chopped into small pieces
- Preparation: Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted) or Gas Mark 4. Line a 20cm square baking tin with baking parchment.
- Chocolate & Butter Melt: In a saucepan on low heat, melt the dark chocolate and butter together. Stir constantly to prevent the mixture from burning. Once they're melted and combined, remove from heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Whisk Eggs & Sugar: In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, caster sugar, and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth and pale in colour.
- Combine Chocolate: Slowly fold the cooled chocolate and butter mixture into the egg mixture until well combined.
- Dry Ingredients: In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Gradually fold these dry ingredients into the wet mixture, ensuring everything is combined but not overmixed.
- Add Orkney Fudge: Gently fold in the chopped Orkney fudge pieces, ensuring they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Baking: Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs. It's important not to overbake, as we want the brownies to remain gooey in the centre.
- Cooling: Remove from the oven and let the brownies cool in the tin for about 20 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. Once fully cooled, cut into squares and serve.
Orkney Fudge Brownies are a treat on their own, but you can elevate the experience by pairing them with:
- A scoop of Orkney vanilla ice cream.
- A drizzle of caramel sauce.
- A sprinkling of sea salt for that delightful sweet and salty combination.
Orkney Fudge Brownies combine the traditional delight of brownies with the unique sweetness of Orkney fudge, resulting in a dessert that is both familiar and refreshingly new. Perfect for gatherings, special occasions, or a simple weekend treat, these brownies are sure to become a favourite in your household. So, the next time you're craving a chocolatey treat with a twist, remember this recipe and indulge in the magic of Orkney Fudge Brownies
You can also check out our recipe for Apple and Orkney Fudge muffins here.